Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Motor City in Review

As always I am behind on keeping the blog up to date. I probably should have announced that I would be attending the Motor City Comic Convention before hand, and not after, but I really didn't think to because until the Con the only people who read this space were people who knew me. And then I started selling books to strangers...

The Motor City Comic Convention was a really great experience for me. It was my first con, and my first chance to peddle my book to strangers and get honest feedback and encouragement. It was great to see people take an interest in the art and story, especially when someone would come by the booth and then go take a look at the rest of the con and come back. It let me know that even with everything else that was going on, people still wanted to come back and spend their hard-earned con dollars on my book. That felt pretty good.

It also meant that suddenly there were people who wanted to know how they could keep up to date on the story, and the progress of issue two. What a dilemma. If only, I thought, if only there was an information network that connected people all over the world which I could use to keep those who had bought my book up to date on what was happening. I cursed myself for not making a website, and then realized that I had this blog. Then I cursed myself for not making business cards (which really is shameful since I work at a print shop) and then I got out little pieces of paper and began writing down this web address. So this post goes out to all of you who stopped by my booth and received one of those little pieces of paper.

More details on the con later, including (I hope) pictures of the commissions which I did, but for now, how about some pictures of the booth. Till next time.

This was the booth. A little sparse but for the poster.

Books for sale! And you can almost see one of my commissioned pieces on the table there.

Next to me on the table you can see a sketchbook open to a character for whom I was asked to create a space suit.

I also had the privilege of setting up next to Katie Cook. She has done a fair amount of work on the Star Wars universe over the years and we got to see Darth Vader give her a hug.

Lastly a shot of me working on a spaceship piece on Sunday. More later!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

HULK SMASH!!

Robert Lynch said...

And then there are the people who know you and still didn't know you were going to the con until you were almost back...

L. H. Lynch said...

My disappointment over being absent at your first con has been freshly renewed. :(

Still, sounds like you had an awesome experience.

Unknown said...

Don't be disappointed. None of the fam went. None of us were expected to go. It's a dangerous creepy place. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that you'd probably never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than at a con.

D.Cous. said...

Glad to hear you played the Big Con. Luther would've been proud.

Dark Elf Designs said...

HEy Eric I noticed you are from michigan and were at the motor city convention wondered if you'd like to do XcapeCON2 I hope you read this :) e-mail me at guests@xcapecon.com and check out the website www.xcapecon.com