Saturday, May 31, 2008

Con wrap up

Just a quick post here. I wanted to post the commissions I did at the con for any one who was interested. The first one was commissioned by a gentleman who apparently has the world's largest Iron Giant collection. It is pretty impressive. He came up to my booth and said that it didn't seem like I minded drawing robots. I said that that I certainly did not and he asked if I wouldn't mind adding to his collection. I was surprised because I had not quite anticipated this. In truth I had been worried that someone would come along and ask for a Catwoman pinup or something, but as soon as The Iron Giant commission was requested I realized how foolish this was. Of course no one was going to ask for something I couldn't draw because all anyone knows about me is what they see right in front of them. All my commissions were for robots and machines because that was the crowd my work attracted. Besides that the guy who drew Catwoman pinups was sitting in the booth across from me, and he was kept busy all convention.

The Iron Giant pinup can be viewed here.

My other two commissions were from a gentleman who circulated a number of sketch books all over the convention and had artists work on illustrating characters in a story of his own. I designed a space suit for a tiger furry named Earl McClaw and a destroyer ship for one of his friend's universes.

Earl McClaw in space combat gear.

Maybe the best space ship I have drawn to date. I whipped this out in a surprisingly short amount of time and rediscovered why I like tech pens.

More later. Hopefully some sneak peaks and panels, prints, and sketches. My friend was right, this blog is better with pictures.

3 comments:

L. H. Lynch said...

Yes, the blog is extra-awesome with pictures. Your Iron Giant commission was pretty awesome.

D.Cous. said...

I'm impressed. The con sketches are great, and not just because they are among the first images on your blog about art. That dude does have one heck of an Iron Giant collection.

Piggy said...

hoo hah! finally figured out how to get an account.

noice pictures.