Monday, February 9, 2009

This was really hard.

I don't like to brag (feel free to dispute this I guess) but I also don't appreciate false modesty, and when I have done something hard I want people to know how hard it was. I took several cracks at this image, and wasted a lot of time trying to figure out the perspective in it. You can see several of those attempts below. The final image is by no means perfect, it does have plenty of compositional issues that we could critique to no end, but the perspective is sound. It looks a little wonky at first glance (that's one of the compositional issues) but by all means, look very hard at the perspective. It works. I'm proud of that.


This was a second attempt, building off of lessons learned in the first. At this point I am lightboxing together two layers of perspective because having all the vanishing points on the same piece of paper was throwing me off.



This is an example of one of the perspective objects that I lightboxed in. I pinpointed the axis on which the cube would pivot so that I could line it up with axis on the ship's gyroscopic thingy.



The first attempt. This one got so messy that I had to start fresh. Also, the cube is wrong.



The finished product. 

3 comments:

D.Cous. said...

Great post, man. Thanks. I enjoy seeing the process in pictures.

Robert Lynch said...

Yeah, nice.

L. H. Lynch said...

Bravo. I saw it on Monday, of course, but it hasn't ceased looking awesome since then.